NOTE: 3/26/2020 WE ARE SHUTTING DOWN THIS FORUM IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

3500HD.com forum created October 2009 WILL BE SHUTTING DOWN

Author Topic: Will the 4L80E handle a mildly tuned 12 Valve Cummins?  (Read 1906 times)

GR Gold

• Single Axle Driver
Will the 4L80E handle a mildly tuned 12 Valve Cummins?
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »
I have a 1995 3500HD with a dead 6.5.  Truck has 83k miles on it and I want to put in a Cummins.  Truck has the 4L80E auto in it.  For simplicity, I would like to stay with an auto.  Will this trans take it?  I know I shouldn't, but quite often I gross about 30K with my 2000 F350 diesel 6 speed pulling my loaded gooseneck.  I have read several threads about the Allison 1000, but the cost and integration into the truck is rather spendy.  I also read about the Fuller FSO6406.  That seems the most interesting to me if I have to make an upgrade, but again the cost along with changing out the steering column and adding a clutch pedal probably make it prohibitive.  I greatly appreciate all of your wisdom on this and welcome all your replies!  Oops, by the way, will a NV4500 out of an 1993 3500HD with a 350 bolt to the Cummins with a Dodge bellhousing?  Is the input shaft different from a NV4500 bolted to a 6.5 diesel or big block or one bolted to a Dodge?  Can I use the steering column and pedals including the gas pedal, out of a 93 in a 95?  Sorry for so many questions.  Probably should have put about half of this in another thread!

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
Re: Will the 4L80E handle a mildly tuned 12 Valve Cummins?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:51:48 AM »
Factory specification on the 4L80E is that it can handle up to 440 lb-ft of torque.  Depending on what year the Cummins comes out of, torque spec ranges from 400 to 440 lb-ft.  For comparison, the Vortec 7.4 that came in 1996-up GM trucks make nearly the same torque - the L29 is rated at 410 lb-ft, the L21 at 390 lb-ft.  (L21 is the slightly detuned version used in the medium duty trucks.)

So you're right at the edge of its rated capacity; it would probably be fine, as long as it's in good condition.  How much work it is to adapt the 4L80E to the Cummins, I don't know.  You will need a standalone transmission controller which can range from $600ish to $1000 depending on brand/model, or some research may tell you if you can continue to use your 1995's computer to operate it.  The 1993 model HD has a TCM (transmission control module) which is a standalone computer from the factory for operating a 4L80E, but I don't believe you'll find it compatible with the 1995 model transmission.

1993 column will not easily work in the 1995 truck.  "Gas" pedal is the same across all years of this body style; as you know the 1994-up diesels use an electronic pedal assembly, earlier ones use the same pedal as the gas trucks.

Others have discussed what it takes to use a GM NV4500 with a Cummins so I'll leave that to them, I'm not experienced with these swaps.

Not really that big a deal to source a clutch pedal bracket assembly and master cylinder from a 1995-up truck to work properly in your 1995; making the correct type of hole in the firewall for the master cylinder to fit is kind of a chore as the factory hole is stepped in layers of sheetmetal, for the master cylinder to "clock" into, resting on a lip made of two different sized holes.  Been there, done that.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM