THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: dana 80 gear ratios  (Read 3367 times)

12vsuburban

• Single Axle Driver
dana 80 gear ratios
« on: January 16, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »

Changed the title and some wording as I had a brain fart snd was thinking of another rear when originally started the topic thinking it was a 70HD rear....

HI all, I'm looking for what it takes to get a more hwy friendly ratio in my dana 80Truck was produced in oct 1995. I believe I have the 4.63 ratio. on my axle the only numbers I can find are :
ML24FW 6950

75238X.....3

In the glove the code I belive is correct is a GK9

I'm installing a Cummins and need a 3.5-3.7 ratio..would love something out of a production vehicle instead of having to buy new gears. I trust a nice set of used factory gears more than aftermarket even if from a reputable brand.
Thanks, Hans
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:19:08 PM by 12vsuburban »

Rayjon237

• Dually Driver
Re: 70HD gear ratios
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:59:54 PM »
they are full tilt dana 80's the strongest stock ones they made,  where the confusion may be is the dana 70hd and the dana 80 use the same carrier bearings..  but they are alot different  size wise...

look for 37 spline dana 80,  that is what we have, some of the 1990-1991 hd's had rockwells but other than that all hd's had dana 80's, 

12vsuburban

• Single Axle Driver
Re: 70HD gear ratios
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 06:54:15 AM »
You are correct sir, I was mixing up another project with the 70HD axle. So our axles are 37 spline...If I find a good deal on a carrier and gears, but with another spline axle, can I just swap my spider gears into the other carrier, assuming both are open carriers? I am talking with a Dodge guy that says he has a 80 with 3.55s that he could pull all the guts and send to me pretty reasonably....

12vsuburban

• Single Axle Driver
Re: dana 80 gear ratios
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:50:54 AM »
alrighty I found a guy with a rear out of a '95 Dodge with 3.54s. he is willing to pull the entire guts out and send to me. Since Dodges have 35 spline axles, I should be able to swap in my 37 spline from my carrier into the Dodge and assemble. They are both open carriers, so should be able to swap over. ....hopefully this will do the trick.

Hans
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:52:32 AM by 12vsuburban »

Rayjon237

• Dually Driver
Re: dana 80 gear ratios
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:29:02 AM »
Yes the spiders and shims just swap, I gave 100$ for the dana 80 and 250$ for the bearing kit.  New gears arn't that bad $ wise I just needed the carrier and it was cheeper to get the whole thing.  Be aware the pinion depth is a pain to set so you need to know what the shims were in your doner, and your current gear set to get close. The pinion depth shims go behind the race in the housing ( I took a belt sander to a old race so I didn't have to drive it in and out during setup.)   Using used gears and getting them setup right takes a little more work,  if you have the rear put marking compound on it before you pull it apart so you can see the pattern and where it was wearing,  otherwise you have to set it up on the coast side. The reason most shops won't do used gears is if you don't get it in the same place on the wear pattern they can howl,  where new gears wear in, used sets have already taken a set and warn in..   Good luck if you need anything pm me it goes to my email, or pm your # and I will give you a call..   don't know where you are but I have another carrier and some 3.73's if you want them..   

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM