THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: 3500 vs 3500'HD'...  (Read 2988 times)

kenkaman

• Single Axle Driver
3500 vs 3500'HD'...
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:21 AM »
Guys, as you may know, I am not only new to this site, but to the whole truck scene, too...I have a '98 3500 Crew Cab Silverado, with an 8' bed.  I know it's not the 'HD' as most of the trucks on this forum are, but other than having a very nice interior for the family, is there anything about this truck that is Identical to the HD versions?  What's significantly different and, do you know if there are any sites like this one but for the "standard" 3500 series (not HD).  Thanks fellas! 

kenkaman

• Single Axle Driver
Re: 3500 vs 3500'HD'...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:00:35 AM »
Oh, and it's a Dually, too (forgot to mention that)

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »
The differences between the HD's and lighter trucks are almost entirely underneath the body - in the chassis.  There are a couple of minor body differences in that the HD's have grab style exterior door handles (94-up) and a much taller filler strip under the grille to bridge the gap down to the bumper.  Otherwise body and interior are the same, even some HD's would come with power windows, locks, etc. though many were bare bones work truck style.

The engines used in the HD's could also be had in the lighter trucks - the 6.5 turbodiesel and the 7.4 big block.  (2001 and 2002 models were available with the 8.1 instead of the 7.4; the 8.1 never saw duty in the lighter trucks of the same body style, and a very few of the early HD's could be had with the 5.7 but they're pretty rare from what I've seen.)  Radiator has a taller neck to clear the taller core support, and the master cylinder is a little different because of the heavier braking system, but pretty much everything under the hood would be the same as a similarly-equipped "regular" non-HD 3500.

Frame, front and rear suspension including axles, brakes, even the fuel tank are 100% unique to the HD.  They're based off components from an older motorhome chassis, with a straight front axle, Dana 80 rear axle (or Rockwell in the very first models), 4 wheel disc brakes, 19.5" wheels with a 10 lug pattern although only 5 lugs are used up front - don't let that fool you - the studs are 5/8" thick vs. the 14mm studs on your regular 3500.  The transmission differs in that although it would still be the 4L80E automatic or NV4500 manual trans, it has a longer tailshaft housing to accomodate the driveline-mounted parking brake that sits on the rear of the transmission.

That's about it!

You and your "regular" 3500 are perfectly welcome here as many members here have duallys (and other trucks) besides HD's, many similar questions/issues apply to either truck.  But I can suggest another great forum that has a fairly busy section dealing specifically in the 88-98 body style of trucks - Chevytalk.org

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

Rambos_Ride

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »
I've also got both a 98 1ton CC dually, and an 97 1ton HD.

The 97 HD underneath is WAY more beefy than the 98...just think of your dually on steroids and that would be an HD!
1997 Chevrolet 3500HD Tipper, Rugby Bed/Lift
87k 7.4L Dually

kenkaman

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 07:20:22 PM »
Lots of great info here. Mr. "someotherguy," that was also a good amount of info and I'm very appreciative of the time it took to write all that. It makes me more appreciative and aware of some of those subtle differences  that make the trucks as unique as they are.  All you guys are really a wealth of information, especially for a newbie like me. Tks. 

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM