NOTE: 3/26/2020 WE ARE SHUTTING DOWN THIS FORUM IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

3500HD.com forum created October 2009 WILL BE SHUTTING DOWN

Author Topic: Battery Quest  (Read 3411 times)

Rambos_Ride

• Single Axle Driver
Battery Quest
« on: April 15, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »
Battery topics are usually like the "What kind of Oil do you Run" discussions!

But, here goes...My k3500 CC dually 6.5 just ate up another set of Optima Batteries :(

Used to be Optimas were a good battery - ran them for many, many years in my CJ5's without failures.

But in 3 years on the k3500- I've blown thru 1 set of Redtop Optimas, and 1 set of Yellow Top Optimas the latest to fail in < 2 years.

Anyway, the 3500HD battery is pretty old, lead-acid replacement battery that died once already...so I decided if I'm buying 2 for the diesel rig, 1 more to shore up the Tipper isnt going to kill the bank in the grand scheme of things..

I looked at Odyssey, Lifeline AGM style -both made in USA and good ratings - and VERY expensive!!!!

I ended up going with something priced in-between Optimas (160) and the Odyssey (360) sold @ Batteries Plus, still made in the USA, their SLI34-78AGMDP X2Power Batteries, 3 of them for about <720.00

We'll see how these fair-out over a couple years.

I am little surprised the HD Tipper is only setup from the factory with a Single Battery - Was that a common thing back then?
1997 Chevrolet 3500HD Tipper, Rugby Bed/Lift
87k 7.4L Dually

KODIAK

• 3500HD Hero
Re: Battery Quest
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 11:16:08 PM »
My 1999 3500 HD 6.5 diesel has a dump bed with a rugby electric hoist got 4 years out of the battery's they were auto zone but the truck came with factory dual alternators  maybe that helped the life of the battery's ?

plasticbadger

• Dually Driver
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15:22 AM »
I'd be amazed if a single Optima has the cold cranking capacity to fire the 6.5. We run them in the boats we build, but the larger sizes for the cranking battery. I don't which spec battery you had, or what GM recommend, but generally you'll find a lot of the Gel/AGM batteries don't have the deep cycling or cold cranking of a good ol heavy duty truck battery.

I'm running marine spec lead acid batteries in my HD, which are desgined for cold cranking big diesels. From the factory it ran 2 x engine batteries, a second alternator and 2 x 'house batteries' for the other equipment. My K3500 CC dually was the same.
2000 3500HD 6.5TD 4x4 ex-armoured car - the Worlds only RHD 4x4 3500HD?

GM Guy

• 3500HD Driver
  • manual transmission 2wd enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:19:19 AM »
I love my ac delcos. I buy the hottest and largest overall sized ones i can find. I also get dual post for easy jumping. they are about 100 bucks apiece. they are 7 year warranty, with 50 month free repalcement, IIRC. 850 or so CCA.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:02:52 AM »
Sick minds think alike. :)  I like the double post batteries for jumping...and also for charging. ;)

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM