NOTE: 3/26/2020 WE ARE SHUTTING DOWN THIS FORUM IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

3500HD.com forum created October 2009 WILL BE SHUTTING DOWN

Author Topic: Temp sender wire.  (Read 3576 times)

jmac72

• Single Axle Driver
Temp sender wire.
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »
Any body know what color wire the temp sender might be.When I got the truck,the PO said it didn't work.But after checking under the hood,its not hooked up.It should go to the driver side head midway back I think.I have checked the temp with a IR gun,it does not get hot,I just don't like it when stuff does not work.
95 3500HD Century/Formula 411 Wrecker

jmac72

• Single Axle Driver
Re: Temp sender wire.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:36:13 AM »
Forgot to mention 95 454 5spd.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »
Typically the dash gauge temp sender wire is kind of a medium-dark green.  I just sold a '95 3500HD w/454 so I can't go refer to it but it seemed to me someone had hacked the temp sender wiring anyway to add in an aux electric fan.  The green sender wire is pretty common over quite a few years of GM products though and that's also what color it is on my '94 w/350.  Keep in mind underhood crud may have discolored it so it could be hard to spot, though it will be by itself and coming from the group of wiring alongside the passenger side of the engine, typically crossing at the front of the intake manifold.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

jmac72

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
 I will have to go check it out.The harness is in pretty good shape(not all hacked up)Just neede a place to start looking.Thanks

jmac72

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »
 I was trying to find this !#% temp sender wire.I found a junction in the right area,it has a light green wire that has the right looking end,but it is not long enough.Right beside it there is a dark green wire that is cut and taped right next to the junction.(probably it)Both wires are coming out of a small white connector. It was taped up neatly.(probably factory) The light green wire was in a loom tiewraped  up behind the ac compressor(looked factory)Does this sound like I'm in the ball park.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 07:06:20 PM »
Tough call.  Can you post a few pics?  The sender wire should be dark green.  It's possible the junction you're seeing is for a factory-optional auxiliary cooling fan; although the '96 7.4 I used in a previous build-up has an entirely different harness and other misc. accessories, it sounds like you're describing the junction I had on the passenger side near the front of the intake, which had a wire that led to an aux fan switch mounted in the passenger head.  Grounding that wire out kicked on the aux fan.

You can kind of see it in this pic (remember this is a '96 7.4 which is Vortec, totally different from your '95 7.4 TBI) - just behind the large chunk of flex loom which is covering a heater hose running behind the alternator, you see a rusty red connector with a light green wire, then a broken dark green wire just next to it.  Both of those wires were previously sandwiched into a little white junction block connector which made no sense to me; it was removed before the pic was taken:

Richard
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:09:49 PM by someotherguy »
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

jmac72

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »
That makes me feel better.That would make sense why the light green was tied up nice and neet.That drk green I found must be it.I'll get a end for it and see what happens.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM