NOTE: 3/26/2020 WE ARE SHUTTING DOWN THIS FORUM IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

3500HD.com forum created October 2009 WILL BE SHUTTING DOWN

Author Topic: Bed size for 135.5" wheelbase  (Read 3041 times)

plasticbadger

• Dually Driver
Bed size for 135.5" wheelbase
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:05 AM »
Hi all, I've been having a 'big push' this month to get my project moved forward to completion (an update will follow soon on the build thread!). One of things I've now done is move the back axle rearwards to it's original 135.5" wheelbase, which will help me get the truck finished in many ways.

So my question is what size bed would normally be fitted to a 135" wheelbase? I've been measuring up and I reckon I could fit between 9' and 10' on there, with 10' perhaps hanging out the back too much and less than 9' looking too 'bob tail'. What would be the standard length for this wheelbase?

Thanks, Rich
2000 3500HD 6.5TD 4x4 ex-armoured car - the Worlds only RHD 4x4 3500HD?

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
Re: Bed size for 135.5" wheelbase
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »
Rich - 9' is about right; keep in mind a regular pickup (non chassis cab) longbed is 8', and a "short" (135.5") chassis cab wheelbase is only 4" longer.  10' would work fine too but of course have a more noticeable overhang.

I've got the next longer wheelbase - 159.5" - on my '95 and I'm looking for a 10'~11' bed; 10' might look a little funky bobtail but if I find a good one cheap I'm buying it.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

barn

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »
Hi again.

Glad to hear your getting on with your Hd. Did you find all the original mounting holes when  you moved the axle back ?
I put an 8 foot bed on mine but pushed it back so I could get the exhaust stacks up the back of the cab.

plasticbadger

• Dually Driver
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:44:34 PM »
Hi Barn - Yes and no! Some stuff bolted straight on to the original holes, some stuff needed drilling and some stuff seemed completely different, mainly the front spring hangers. It worked out fine though.

Did you go all the way back to the original axle position, is that how you have the space for the stacks between cab and bed?
2000 3500HD 6.5TD 4x4 ex-armoured car - the Worlds only RHD 4x4 3500HD?

barn

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »
Yeah I went right back to the original length. I think there was only one original hole to mount the front spring hanger and I drilled the rest out, only problem was I had to get a new prop made.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM