THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: Injector change problems  (Read 3017 times)

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
Injector change problems
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:16:58 PM »
 Hey u guys (Richard) or anybody else that has changed thiers. I changed mine out Monday, everything came apart great went back together even better. Bought a 5 hour job. My problem is I didnt check for leaks before I put it all back together and I have a leak under the plenum. I bought the New Bosch injectors and regulator for the install. I have the pleasure takeing it all back apart now. Everything fit perfect but something isn't right. Is it possible the new O rings on the injectors are too small or something else? And i put just a very small amount of O ring grease on them to keep them from sticking. any thoughts appreciated...
Life is what happens while your busy makeing other plans.
1998 C3500HD getting a 5.9 Cummins in process

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
Re: Injector change problems
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:22:33 AM »
Which part # injector did you buy and from where?  The ones I got from Five-O were a perfect fit using the supplied O-rings; I think the exact same injectors are used in other applications but might have a different O-ring size.

Also possible one of the O-rings may be defective or tore on install regardless that you lubed them.  Oh, also possibly a piece of crud interfering with a good seal?  Hopefully the fuel rail didn't crack or anything stupid like that.

It may have been worth a pressure check before putting the plenum back on but hindsight is 20/20 and to be honest although I advise it, I didn't do it myself. ;)

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 06:45:02 PM »
 Hey Richard I found the problem. I just took it apart again and turned the switch on, fuel was comeing out the topside of #4, grabbed the injector pulled up on it and it quit. after a closer look the little plastic tab that sticks up on the fuel rail were the metal retainers hook to was snapped off letting the injector drop enough for it to leak at its connection. so its gonna b some mechanics wire to hold the clip in place or a new rail. I have a complete spare 454 engine but it has the same one broke on it. just my luck lol. The injectors that i got are brand new Bosch 0280150973 from Motor Man Fuel Injectors in MI. for 251.92 deliverd, fair price i thought. Got my regulator elsewhere and dang they proud of them things!!  So beware of the plastic tabs for anyone else that encounters this project!!  Thanks again for you and this Fourm!   Robin.

rockmanben

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:31:56 PM »
were they a direct plug and play or did you have to change pigtails?

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »
 Yep just do a careful disassembly with patience take old ones out, Be sure to clean everything very well, drop in new ones, no mods (unless ya wanna do some porting work) the rail will go back easily with lubed o rings. tighten everything pertaining to fuel system up,do a pressure check before u put the plenum back on!!!

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:16:09 AM »
Yeah, I had one of those tabs break loose too; I managed to hold it on with a couple of good small zip-ties.  They're actually looped through the slot in the metal tab so they're not going anywhere:

Nice price on the injectors.  For the regulator, I paid like $50~$60 for a Standard Motor Products brand, from Summit.  Made in USA

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »
 Yep, cable ties to the rescue!! Works well and I must say money well spent so far. Went for a test drive, putted around a bit then started mashing a little harder. It now has a strong Growl in stead of a little grunt. 40-80mph it really comes alive. I will find out Tuesday how much better it pulls when i hook up my trailer and mini excavator, combined weight trk,trlr,miniex 22,400lbs.

KODIAK

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 11:25:34 PM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERY ONE  :) :)

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM