THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: speedometer off?  (Read 2058 times)

454-3500-hd

• One Ton Driver
speedometer off?
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:05:04 PM »
My speedometer in my 91HD is off by about 10mph. 4l80e trans. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks

Eric
My fleet,
91-3500hd-454
Ms660-magnum stihl
Modded-288XP husqvarna
Modded-homelite super 2

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: speedometer off?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:37:53 AM »
Eric

Someotherguy must have made this tech tip, it outlines installing a DIP switch on the DRAC (digital ratio adapter controller).

I may have an extra DRAC if needed.

http://www.someotherplace.com/guides/clusterswap/cluster.html

This site concentrates on the DRAC itself and has the jumper combos:

http://www.tbichips.com/drac/

Ed
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:43:01 AM by ED-NY »

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 12:03:32 PM »
Hey Ed,

That cluster swap article is actually an ooooollllld one that someone posted on FullsizeChevy; the picture links kept dying so I dug them all up and put them on my site just to preserve them - I don't take any credit for the pictures or info.  The article is actually for retrofitting a 1992-1994 cluster into a 1988-1991 model, to get rid of the "moonie" gauges.

Now the "moonie" gauges, 1988-1991 have the speed sensor buffer built into the cluster, instead of a separate DRAC module.  You can modify the moonies with a DIP switch much the same way you'd modify a DRAC, but the settings don't work the same way as detailed in that article or in the TBIChips info.

There's a different table of settings and unfortunately instead of being based off measurements and a formula, it's predetermined info based off axle ratios and tire sizes, and the 3500HD stuff isn't included in the particular examples I've found - presumably as the info was released prior to 1991.  Sooo, could be a little bit of trial-and-error to break this down to something that will work for a 1991 3500HD, the only year HD that would have a cluster with built-in speed sensor buffer.

Here's a link I wrote to the info on 1988-1991: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/interior-tech/467576-recalibrating-1988-1991-speedometer-dash-cluster.html

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

454-3500-hd

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:59:23 PM »
Thanks Richard and Ed

This seems to be out of my skill level. So I think ill leave it alone ;D. Last thing I want to do is mess up the electrical in my HD  >:(. I just put tags on the truck yesterday and she runs great, for being as heavy as it is, this big block puts your a** back in the seat! I can hear my e brake rubbing tho. Ill need to check that out. I had a dodge guy who hates the bowtie say its a good looking truck 8)! So that made my day.

Eric
My fleet,
91-3500hd-454
Ms660-magnum stihl
Modded-288XP husqvarna
Modded-homelite super 2

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM