THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: Carrier Bearing Replacement...  (Read 2947 times)

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
Carrier Bearing Replacement...
« on: November 26, 2010, 06:16:39 PM »
I drove the HD over to my parents house yesterday to pick up my plow out of storage in the barn, and on the way home the carrier bearing decided to self destruct.   >:(  I picked up a new one today and proceeded to drop the shafts in order to replace it...unfortunately what should have been a relatively simple job turned into a 4.5 hour ordeal because lo and behold the slip yoke was seized tight.  The front and mid u-joints looked pretty old too, so I decided to replace those while I had everything apart, since I had to disassemble the mid one anyway to get the driveshafts apart.  Everything is back together now, but I just thought I'd share my pain...that dang seized shaft, 25 mph wind and 27 degrees made for a pretty horrible day! 
Rob
95 C3500HD Plow Rig 6BT/Fuller 6M

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: Carrier Bearing Replacement...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »
Kinda nice to hear that I'm not the only one suffering from one of those "piece of cake" jobs ;)

Of course...it's always the worst weather thrown in to boot. In a couple more weeks...my heated shop will be online!

Ed

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
Oh how I wish I had a heated shop...well I do have a heated 2.5 car garage, but the HD is definitely too tall to fit  :'(  Luckily it's supposed to be a few degrees warmer tomorrow when I'll be finishing getting the salter ready.
Rob
95 C3500HD Plow Rig 6BT/Fuller 6M

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 06:54:02 PM »
I know what you mean..that's why I made one bay in my barn 30X14 (9' ceiling) with a side tool room at 11X11. Just finished the 2" blue board insulation and have a Monitor 41 kerosene direct vent heater.  Big enough for my 3500HD's ..but not too big to heat.

Ed

merlin5577

• Global Moderator
  • Dually Driver
    • Great site for all trucks!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »
I hate those days. A 'simple' job turns into a nightmare because of the unexpected things. Wind, rain, cold, rust, etc.. I wish I had a garage. Heated or not.  :(
-Robert.
My Trucks;
2003 Chevrolet Silverado K2500HD 4X4 6.6L w/Allison 1000
1997 GMC Suburban K1500 4X4 5.7L w/4L60-E
"If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

dmorris194

• Single Axle Driver
    • 2500HD.net
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:13:39 PM »
Wow I thought it was cold when it gets to 40, yall already having 27 degree weather.

plasticbadger

• Dually Driver
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 02:55:37 AM »
I went out to get some work done on the HD this weekend, but gave up as it was about 20 degrees, I have no where inside to put it. About 100 miles up the road where some friends of mine went wheeling for the weekend it was a solid 0!! One of the guys has an open Landrover 90 with no heater!!!

I think I'm gonna wait for the 'cold snap' we're having to pass before getting some more work done.
2000 3500HD 6.5TD 4x4 ex-armoured car - the Worlds only RHD 4x4 3500HD?

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM