NOTE: 3/26/2020 WE ARE SHUTTING DOWN THIS FORUM IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

3500HD.com forum created October 2009 WILL BE SHUTTING DOWN

Author Topic: GMT400 VIN decoding card  (Read 4139 times)

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
GMT400 VIN decoding card
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »
I spent some time this morning to come up with what I hope is an all-inclusive VIN decoding card for our GMT400 trucks.  This info came from many sources - LMC 1988-1998 truck catalog, LMC 1992-1999 Blazer/Tahoe catalog, LMC 1992-1999 Suburban catalog, an uncredited site on angelfire Canada, GM's dealerworld site, and research using a collection of VIN's from my former salvage yard inventory.

Several sites have most of the info, but I couldn't find one that had all of it in one spot.

Please feel free to post/share it wherever you like.  I prefer you use my direct link to post it, so as I make corrections, the new version will automatically replace the previous one.  If you find any errors or omissions please let me know in an email (address is at bottom of the document) and I'll check it out and correct as needed.

If your browser or the forum software automatically resizes the image you may need to go to the direct link below and use the function in your browser to view the image full screen...or just print it out as a reference.

Direct link: http://www.someotherplace.com/info/GMT400VINCARD.JPG

Richard
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:28:17 PM by someotherguy »
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

BluntBear

• Single Axle Driver
Re: GMT400 VIN decoding card
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:30:26 PM »
So, I guessing that a 7.4 L vortec engine code V shows up in 99' and later?
Being prepared just let's us know how unprepared we really are.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »
Hey, I'm glad someone is paying attention, because I slipped up on that one!  "J" is one of the engine codes that conflicts depending on year model.  For 96-up, J is the 7.4 which would be Vortec by default because of year, but from 93-down it was one of the 6.2 diesel codes.  I saw that while compiling the data but somehow I let it slip.  THANKS for the heads-up!  Let me go edit this thing now and find room to include that, and update to version 1.1. :D

Richard

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:33:25 PM »
Richard

When you get it done and if you want I can put it on my server and make a link to it below?

Ed

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »
Ed, just fixed it, if you refresh this page you'll see it's version 1.1 now.

That's the beauty of leaving it hosted on my web space, any time I need to make an update it is changed automatically anywhere that uses the jpg hosted by me.  If you save it on your own space, I can't update that one without you having to manually save the new copy and upload it.

I've got plenty of bandwidth, way more than I need, so please feel free to link directly to my site for it.  You don't need to show the link, you can use a descriptive title that just refers you to the proper URL...my goal is for it to get out everywhere it can, freely shared, but I'd like to be able to easily modify it for any mistakes.  I ain't perfect and hopefully as time goes more info will come to light that can be added/changed for better accuracy.

Richard

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 07:04:34 PM »
Sorry about that..didn't even notice that you had the link posted!  It's included below..

BluntBear

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 12:26:45 AM »
Thought something was missing, thanks for the efficient change. In case no one noticed this is a really great resource, thanks again. Can't tell you how many times I've gone to buy a part, given the VIN, and they still can't get it right. This break down makes it much easier.
Being prepared just let's us know how unprepared we really are.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 10:34:32 AM »
You're welcome. :)  Most of that information is available online but none of it was complete.  Having to check so many sources to decode one VIN is frustrating, and I've had to do it many, many times.  Some of the info there wasn't on ANY of the sources I found so I had to refer to my old inventory lists and experience dealing with interchange info with those trucks.

I know from my initial suspicions, and also limited responses on other places I've posted this, that many would have no idea what to do with the info or how it might be valuable - but I'm more than happy to provide it to the people that DO need it.

Richard

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM