THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: Big Block Short Block  (Read 2241 times)

BluntBear

• Single Axle Driver
Big Block Short Block
« on: October 20, 2010, 03:02:41 AM »
I thought I'd throw this out there. Looking for a dependable affordable source for a 99' 454 vortec short block. I know there are plenty, but information is always gold and I know some are better than others, any info would be much appreciated. Also was wondering if the 3500HD block is different than the 3500 block in terms of compatibility. Thx
Being prepared just let's us know how unprepared we really are.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
Re: Big Block Short Block
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 08:50:55 AM »
There should be no appreciable difference between the 7.4 used in the 3500HD and one used in the 3500/2500 trucks.  I've heard rumor that they might have slightly lowered compression and sodium-filled exhaust valves, but this might be old heresay information that applied to heavy duty application engines from other models.  Those mods of course are intended to add a little longevity to an engine that is constantly worked hard.

I don't have any suggestions for a source other than GM themselves, which would be expensive, but you'd get a heck of a warranty (be sure to check the fine print on what may or may not be covered, and if they require proof of professional installation) and have good chance of getting a quality assembly.

Maybe someone else can recommend an engine shop they've dealt with.  I've always been more of the "get a good running used engine and throw it in" kinda guy. :D

Richard
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:56:37 PM by someotherguy »
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

BluntBear

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »
It does make sense to buy a used complete, and I'm definitely open to that prospect. I'd like to stay away from the dealer simply because of the cost, even though as you say it'd be the most dependable source. Although I replaced the block on a 2000's Land Rover a few years ago at a shop and the replacement ( factory block) had aluminum shavings in almost every water gallery, one was the size of a stick of gum. I was trying to save time by finding a replacement instead of rebuilding the one I've got. But now that I've thought about it more I'll probably will find a good running used motor and slowly rebuild the old one.

I guess that changes my question, does anyone have a reference to a good junk yard or business in California that would have good cheap runners to drop in? Outside California's fine obviously if the shipping's reasonable or free. I guessing from what I've read that I should be able to find a used runner for around $1,500.

Also this is my first post as Bluntbare. I changed it from Boarmaster because Blunbare is my name on other forums, made more sense to stick with one name instead of having aliases. Sorry for the confusion. Glad to be here.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 01:18:35 AM »
I'd try car-part.com, you can search in your area and specify the engine you're looking for, etc.  Do beware that often what you find, you'll call and it's already sold.  None of the yards I've called seem to be very up-to-date on the web inventory, which isn't a big surprise.  Best bet I can think of right off the bat for finding one near you.

That Land Rover block is a funny story.  My middle little brother (got 3) is a 'roving' tech for Rover/Jaguar.  He works a several state region, and he's the guy that they send out to fix the cars when nobody at the dealership can. :D  He says, "As long as people keep buying these cars, I'll have a job."

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

BluntBear

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 03:30:03 PM »
Thanks for the info. I was a Land Rover and Jag tech for a while and have nothing good to say about the direction Ford took both lines. The Land Rover blocks are like a bad joke, I can't tell you how many I had to replace at 30-60k. And I mean HAD to replace, no rebuild possible. I remember this one customer we had was under the disillusionment that his Land Rover was great for wheeling. He had a lift put on it, snorkel (joke), the works, two months later he came back with a severely worn drive train, bent frame, and an overheated block. Once the liners slip on those blocks, it takes close to $10,000 to get um'' moving again. Short story, NEVER BUY A LAND ROVER. But it sounds like you already knew that.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM