NOTE: 3/26/2020 WE ARE SHUTTING DOWN THIS FORUM IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

3500HD.com forum created October 2009 WILL BE SHUTTING DOWN

Author Topic: Transmission Trouble  (Read 2143 times)

Jinks

• Single Axle Driver
Transmission Trouble
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:15:43 AM »
I have a 95 3500hd bucket truck with 4l80e  transmision. The transmission went out so I took it in for rebuild and put it back in, 500 miles later it burnt up. The transmission guy said it is because some of the plastic on my transmission range switch was wallerd out causing a little slack. He said this caused the transmission to burn up. From all the wiring diagrams I have seen none of the wiring from this switch goes through the computer so it doesnt seem like that would have anything to do with it. Has anyone worked with the range switch much? Does this sound right to you?

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
Re: Transmission Trouble
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 11:06:40 AM »
If this happened within 500 miles of rebuild then the wear on the switch was already there. If he truly believes this caused the issue (which in my mind is 100% BS) then he should have replaced it while reinstalling the transmission, to prevent any problems.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

fabman72

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
Whats it doing now do you have reverse or what gears do you have

Jinks

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:08:23 PM »
I pulled it out and took it to the shop for the rebuild then reinstalled it, he blamed me for not getting the switch right so he rebuilt it agian for half price and put a new switch on it. I have the transmission bolted in place but it isnt finished being installed. I wanted to get some opinions before I finish. I have not worked with auto transmissions before. I dont want to fry it agian.

fabman72

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:03:45 PM »
I had a shop rebuild one for me and a week later i lost reverse and drive and took it back ended up being a relief valve that they didn't replace the first time the black switch i believe is the range selector and neutral safety switch and reverse lights I am with Richard it sounds like he might be full of it.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »
I know it's not your exact same situation, but this is why when I see people asking about where to order a transmission from (like the mail order places) I always recommend having a trusted local shop do it, because if they do the install, they can't blame your installation for any problems.  (also to avoid shipping hassles if you have to warranty it out.)  So the same thing applies, if they had done the R&R they couldn't blame you on that switch.

Still though, blaming it on the switch is BS.  It is indeed the park/neutral safety switch and reverse light switch, it also controls the gear indicator in your dash cluster.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

AVERY

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 11:25:14 PM »
I have rebuilt many 4l80 & 4l85e  Total BS !!! . He did not do something right. and 4l85 and alliosn are the easiest to rebuild. 

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM